Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Through the Looking Glass(es)

To wear fake nerdy glasses or not to wear fake nerdy glasses? I’m so torn about this issue that I may start spouting soliloquies. Yigal Azrouël’s runway models donned them all the way back in 2007, and since then they’ve been spotted on the likes of Scarlett Johansson, Jay Z, Lady Gaga and style blogger Keiko Lynn. Now they’ve hit Sportsgirl and Jay Jays, and it’s clear the trend is in full swing.

However, there is something about fake glasses – the oversized, thick-rimmed, Buddy Holly-style ones – that I just cannot come to terms with. A friend pointed out, quite rightly, that they are no different to any other functionless fashion accessory. I wear headbands, don’t I? Earrings? High heels? When I rang another friend for an opinion, her stance on the issue was summed up by the response ‘I’m actually wearing a pair right now’. But to me, it is the same as wearing sunglasses inside, the eyewear equivalent of a naked dress – eye-catching, obvious, and just a little bit OTT.

I think it’s something to do with pretending to be something you’re not. If you’re a geek, you’re a geek, and I respect that. Wear your thick lenses with pride. But if you’re a fashionista pretending to be a geek, that’s a different story altogether – it’s not ironic or tongue-in-cheek, it’s kind of condescending.

But am I taking it all too seriously? Is fashion, like beauty, only skin deep? I wanna know what you think, about fake geek glasses or anything else. Email me at kingsandquinns@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment