Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Danielle Kathleen Jewellery






I first met Danni in my creative writing class. She writes beautiful, fantastical stories and – wait a minute – makes beautiful, fantastical jewellery too! Danni finds her inspiration in “little stories a child makes up as they play in the garden, and dream. There are princesses, creepy crawlies and flowers, tea sets, mythical creatures and even voodoo dolls! All the things that fill up the imagination.” I am absolutely in love with her piece ‘The Anatomical Heart’, and eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine in her next shipment!

How would you describe your work?

Femininely delicate and a very simple, organic aesthetic. My current range, "A Handful of Memories" is a series of acrylic layer jewelery that draw on motifs of childhood and fairy tales.

Tips on how to wear your pieces?

I believe any outfit, no matter what it is, is best paired with confidence. My pieces are large statements- they don't hide! I've worn mine in punk rock influence outfits, goth influence and even pop style colour outfits as well! Its all about the statement you want to make, and how confident you are in pulling it off. For the larger pendants, wear them on a long chain or ribbon, and have them swing freely. See La Roux in her film clip, Bulletproof. The gold portrait is rather similar to one of my designs, and she pulls it off wonderfully with a funky, eighties influence outfit. As the pieces are all black and white, they can be mixed with almost anything!

Favourite designer?

My favourite jewelery designer is Ted Noten. His works are fantastic! The Lady K Bags, which are resin handbags with items like working guns, diamonds and even rats cast into them, are such an inspiration. He also looks at communicating a story or character through the work- sometimes fictional, and sometimes through the wearer.

Where can we buy your jewellery?

I sell my jewelery at Gorman House Markets on Saturdays. After Christmas I hope to be down at the South Coast, so I'll be selling at the Moruya Markets (about half an hour from Batemans Bay) for a few weeks, then back here at Gorman House once more. I also sell continuously on my Etsy store, under Danielle Kathleen.

Danni also has a blog which is definitely worth checking out, or you can become a fan on facebook.

3 comments:

  1. Hey awesome stuff!
    I posted over on Danni's blog suggesting she exhibit/sell through a Melbourne gallery/market called Incube8r. Hope her stuff kicks off, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, shucks lovely lady! Every time I read this I feel happier. To liquid.shade: I checked it out, looks awesome! I might even approach them, they do a remote hire program.
    You're a force to be reckoned with, Katherine. : P
    X, Danni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melbourne! - how exciting! you deserve it all sweetheart xx

    ReplyDelete